This is a compilation of my journey -- the daily walks and my countless talks...

Friday, December 30, 2011

Education from Real Life

I learned a lot from wise men...

And a lot more from jeepney drivers talking about oil price hike and its effect to their families. A penny intended for an offspring's mouth goes to the pockets of rich men with a pocketful of golden coins... 

From my neighbors fighting over a piece of land which they don't even own (but claim their ancestors do)... 

From patients and watchers inside a public ward in a public hospital complaining about the limited service that the institution can offer and about medicines and bills which they cannot afford..Some even cried over a loved one who died waiting for his priority number to be called inside a small operating room. 

From the eyes of the street children bugging passers-by and knocking car windows asking for a piece of mercy. They find the simplest comfort in the warmth of the hardest bed you can ever think of.. 

From my parents who sang me a lullaby just to put me in sleep, who taught me how to stand on my God-given feet, who struggled just to send me to college and gave me everything i need.. 

From innumerable people i see and live with... A lot of them does not know physics, calculus and even a simple subject-verb-agreement.. But they are the people who taught me more than what Plato, Freud and Confucius did.. They don't speak with high intellect and audacity.. They don't even know that there are slippers that cost a month of their food supply.. These people are also my teachers.. And i owe them a lot..

No comments:

Post a Comment